Friday, November 5, 2010

Jáppy Jálloween

Halloween in Chile is a gringo-ized holiday. Most of the Halloween traditions here (from what I gather anyway) are the bits and pieces that people put together from what they see of United Statesian Halloween on TV. You can find various orange and black decorations around and about, as well as pumpkin- or bat-themed things for sale. And of course the notorious street vendors will be happy to sell you a witch's hat or devil ears alongside their normal inventory of scarves, wallets, sunglasses, and pirated DVDs. But in general, Halloween (pronounced JA-lo-ween by Chileans) is definitely not as big a deal here as it is Stateside.

So while I did not exactly find myself in a sea of costumes walking down the street over the weekend, Halloween was not forgotten by the gringos. And since Monday was a holiday (por casualidad), there was partying all weekend long!

Personally, I started on Saturday with a friend's house party, which was super fun. Due to things like work, buying furniture for my apartment, and laziness, I had neither the time, money, nor commitment to buy a costume, so I made due with what I had the night of, hence my costume of "fancy pirate." (Fancy because I wanted an excuse to wear my pretty sparkly top.)

When I got there, the hostess was kind enough to replace my oversized scarf for my head with one that fit and matched the rest of my "costume" better, as well as add to it with a rockin' skull tattoo on my arm.

Aren't I the toughest fancy pirate you've ever seen?



You can't see the white pants and black boots that match the black and white headscarf, but trust me, it was awesome.

However, despite the awesomeness, people seemed to have a hard time grasping the pirate concept without a pirate hat or eyepatch (I think the fanciness might have thrown them off), so Sunday night I opted for a different costume. Once again lacking in time, money, and inclination to buy a costume or costume parts, I decided to throw on all my Chile gear and some sunglasses and go as a "gringa tourist."


Complete with my "¿Chile, cachai?" cap, my "I Love Chile" tee, Easter Island earrings, a backpack, and sunglasses (not pictured)...this was still a hard one for people to get without me explaining it. So I was 0 for 2. But people did seem to enjoy my costumes once they understood what they were!

2 comments: